Monday, October 3, 2011

3rd & FINAL 20 Mile Run

Yesterday I completed my 3rd and final 20 mile training run.  I feel I have everything worked out (when to take in fluids and gels).  I'm feeling strong and tired all at the same time with a positive outlook on finishing the MCM in under 5 hours.  For the next four weeks I begin to taper off on my mileage while trying to increase my speed and stay injury free.

Here is how yesterday went:

*      Weather was 45-55 degrees during the time of my run with cloudy skies, a breeze and a bit of drizzle to start.
*      I got up at 4:45AM and was out the door at 5:45AM 
*      Arrived in Eastport at 6:30AM and started the first leg of my run
*      Ran 4.3 miles in 45 minutes ending at Quite Waters Park
*      Tried to keep warm while I waited for the start of the Annapolis Run for Shelter Half Marathon which benefited the Light House Shelter 
*      Completed 13.1 miles in 2:18:50 which is 2 minutes faster than my first half in June…keeping in mind I actually completed 13.1 miles total before mile 9 if you include my first leg
*      After the half I did a bit of stretching, ate half of banana and then headed back to my car which was 2.8 miles back to Eastport.  On my run back a gentleman, who also ran the half marathon biked by me and asked, "Wasn't the 13.1 enough for you?"  I told him I was training for the MCM and needed the extra miles, but to answer his question, "Yes the 13.1 miles would have been enough for me!"
*      I finished 20.19 miles in 3:37:07 (not including the stops between legs of the run).  I am thrilled with this time and felt as thought I had enough energy to keep going
*      By the time I got home I was stiff, exhausted and chilled.  I spent the day on the coach watching football and napping…the perfect way to spend a Sunday

14 out of 64 Half Marathon runners

As the days tick down to the MCM (27 days from today) I am excited and anxious.  I'm proud of what I have accomplished and look forward to seeing all of my training pay off…even if that means walking part of it since the real goal is to cross the finish line.


I continue to raise money and awareness for the fight against Breast Cancer.  I've raised $1,790.00 and need your help to reach my goal of $2,000.00.  Please make a tax-deductible donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure by clicking here.  Your donation will go to fund research for finding a cure and improving the lives of those living with Breast Cancer.

Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
Matt, Cheryl & Yuengling 
Jenn, Randy and Aiden Smith
George S.
Don & Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family
The Dunham Family
The Leslie Family
The Harris Family
The Hannon Family

No comments:

Post a Comment