Thursday, October 27, 2011

3 days to go - time to carb-load

I started the day at the gym completing a 2.75 miles walk/run.  I needed to burn off some of the energy I have as well as loosen up my legs.  It felt really good to get moving again, however it seemed strange to do such a short workout.  I'm used to my short runs being 5 miles so less than 3 felt almost uncomfortable because I wanted to keep going.


Carb-loading began today and am already ready for a low carb/no carb diet.  (I will be staying off the scale until after the race.)  The purpose of increase my carb intake between now and Saturday is to max the glycogen in my muscles to then burn as energy during the marathon.  If you don't have enough glycogen stored up you may hit the "wall" sooner in the race and your body has to turn to fat for energy which isn't as efficient.  Most everyone thinks the night before is the time to carb-load which actually makes you feel heavy and weighted down because the big carb meal has not fully digested.  By carb-loading over several days during your tapper the muscles can store more glycogen.  Runner's World has an article in their current edition called Fill 'Er Up which explains this fueling process.  


I'm taking tomorrow off work to go to the MCM Expo to pick up my bib for the race and look at all the vendor booths.  This will kick off the final preparations for the big day!    



No comments:

Post a Comment