Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Running on the treadmill

For the past two days I have been completing my training runs on the treadmill at the gym.  I get up early (5AM) and get to the gym in time to run 4 miles then get ready for work and make it to the office by 8AM.  You may be wondering why I'm not completing these short runs outside.  It is very simple:


  • It is VERY dark out and even with my headlamp it really is hard to motivate to run in the dark.  The gym offers a very bright environment.
  • Though the temps have been in the 70s the humidity has been 100% at that time in the morning.  It feels like I'm running in soup.
  • There has also been a lot of fog and I'm finding that people don't drive that slow at 5AM.  After jumping into the ditch twice on my last morning run outside (last week) I decided I would stay inside on foggy mornings. (Note to my Mom: I promise I'm being very safe on my morning runs.  I do not wear my iPod so I can hear the cars coming and I have my headlamp at full force)
  • A change on pace/routine/scenery.  Don't get me wrong I LOVE running outside however there are only so many routes you can make in my neighborhood and even running on the treadmill at the gym is a change of scenery.  
  • People watching at 6AM at the gym can be quite interesting.  Surprising there aren't many people at my gym at that time, however a few people that are there are fun to watch.
I'm hoping there will be no fog tomorrow so I can complete my 5 miles outside, in the dark, in the morning.  The weatherman said the humidity is going to be much lower as a cold front comes in so the weather will be perfect.  Fingers crossed I will be able to just head out the front door and hit the road.


As always thank you everyone for your support and continued interest in my training.  It all motivates me to keep going and try harder.  One thing that really motivate me are your donation!  I have raised $1,790.00 of my new $2,000.00 goal.  If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.

Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
Matt, Cheryl & Yuengling 
Jenn, Randy and Aiden Smith
George S.
Don & Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family
The Dunham Family
The Leslie Family
The Harris Family
The Hannon Family


2 comments:

  1. Good perspective on the pros of the treadmill/gym :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to find the pros in everything these days - especially all the running.

    Hope all your training is going well!

    ReplyDelete