Thursday, August 4, 2011

Committed to being healthy

My journey to being healthy and fit is one that I want to share with everyone.  I hope that it inspires some to get started and others to keep going.
I have been battling (or paying attention to) my weight for 7 years.  My weight had fluctuated between 157 lbs and 213 lbs.  At 5’ 4” with an athletic body type my weight should be between 130-140. The whole truth is I got married at 159 lbs and a few years later I got pregnant with Paige at 157 lbs (after losing 15 lbs) and I ended at 210 lbs (after I gave birth).  I was able to get down to 177 lbs before I got pregnant with Ian and ended up leaving the hospital 207 lbs.  So very clearly I had not been taking good care of my health.  I tried, on and off, to lose weight but always got frustrated when the weight didn’t come off, I let stress take control and would eat what ever I wanted (and in large portions).
After having Ian my body and mind finally came to an agreement that enough was enough and it was time to get healthy.  Not only would I look better, I would also be decreasing my risk for breast cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and so many other health risks.
May 23, 2009 - 1 month after having Ian
I sat down with James and let him know that I didn’t want my children to know me...(well)...fat.  I wanted to make a change in our lives that would include eating healthier, watching portion sizes and working out 5-6 days a week.  James jumped right on board. This would mark the first time we were both working at the same time to get healthy and would not be unconsciously sabotaging each other.
We decided that we would go to the gym after work Monday through Thursday, take Friday’s off and then workout Saturday and Sunday based on plans, housework, yard work, sick kids, etc.   This meant that the kids would be at daycare all day during the week and then go straight to the gym.  At first I felt horrible until I realized how much they actually enjoyed the gym and at such a young age they didn’t know anything different so it was normal to them.
I started off slow with walking and once I had the okay from my doctor to start picking up the intensity, I started running.  I also did spin classes, yoga, strength training classes, got out on my road bike and swam.  The weight started coming off fast and in four months lost 40 lbs.  Then it all stopped!
I went through the fall and winter frustrated, exhausted and disappointed that no more weight was coming off.  I went to my doctor and told her what was going on.  I expressed that it was now or never to get the weight off or I was going to give up and give in to my weight.  She suggested I start a food journal and I asked to start taking a small dose appetite suppressant to get a jump start.  There was one stipulation to her giving me the appetite suppressant - I would have to visit my doctor once a month for her to review my food journal and progress.  I was in!
For four months I visited my doctor and saw the weight come off.  I lost 30 more pounds and stopped taking the appetite suppressant.  I was down 70 lbs in a year and I decided I wanted to do the last 10-15 lbs myself.  I continued my food journal and working out hard.  I entered my first half marathon and become hooked on running. 
July 18, 2010 - 70 lbs lighter!
Since that visit in 2010 I have only lost 5 lbs, but I have gained a great amount of strength.    My body is a new shape and I have energy to keep up with the kids.  I went to the doctor in April and she told me it was the lightest she had ever known me...I have been going my doctor since 1998.  WOW!  I decided to check my body fat to have a new number to work from.  My body fat is 29.5% (women should be between 20-25%) and thought that isn’t great, I can only image what it was two years ago.


I’m proud of my weight loss, but I’m more proud of the life that I live.  I eat healthy and still treat myself.  Our kids are active and I can keep up.  I’m training for a marathon, something I NEVER thought I would ever do, and I’m already looking into marathons next year.
My journey continues each day as I keep an eye on what I eat, workout and balance the rest of my life.  I wouldn’t change these last two years and am very proud of what I have accomplished.  Today at work we had a photo shot for our new website and it was the first time since my wedding that I felt pretty and fully aware of what I have done to change my life.  It all really came to be reality for me as my brain has finally caught up with my body - and I love it... no I LOVE ME!
Taken today (8/4/2011)
As always if you would like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure, please click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don and Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family

1 comment:

  1. Amanda!!! Your story is very inspiring and one that I know many women (and men) can relate to! I like how you shared EVERYTHING from your high points, low points and everything in between! I especially loved the photo shoot photo at the end - you look fabulous and I know you feel that way on the inside AND outside!! Go, you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete