Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Operation Welcome Home

Yesterday my company kicked off their community service program, CSE Connects.  Each month we will offer an volunteer opportunity for our staff so we can give back to our community.  
This month we are participating in Operation Welcome Home Maryland.  Since 2007 they have greeted over 500 flights and more than 100,000 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines at BWI airport.  Operation Welcome Home provides goodie bags for the troops, many of whom have layovers and another flight before they reach home. When the troops arrive they cheer, hug, praise, offer them a goodie bag, and thank them for their service.  
So how is CSE helping, in those goodie bags are thank you notes.  We have set a goal to write 1000 thank you notes in two weeks.  In just one hour a group of us was able to write 386 thank you notes.  It is wonderful knowing that, even in a small way, we are able to thank so many who have sacrificed so much for our country and the freedom of others.
CSE staff writing thank you notes during lunch

Training Update - I’ve had a great week so far.  I’m starting to increase my speed on my shorter runs (5-7 miles).  As we prepare for our vacation to California to visit my parents, I’m also preparing for my longest run.  On Sunday I will be running (and probably a little bit of walking will be involved) 18 miles!  My plan is to blog while we are on vacation to share our adventure - staring with a 6 hour non-stop flight with me, James, Paige (5) and Ian (2), who has never flown before.
Fundraising Update - Thank you to everyone who has donated to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure.  I’ve raised $1,225.00 of my $1,500.00 goal which I’m hoping to reach by September 15th.  If you would like to make a donation click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don and Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family

No comments:

Post a Comment