Friday, August 26, 2011

Paige's First Day of Kindergarten

I'm a day late in putting up this blog.  Yesterday was Paige's first day of Kindergarten and it was a huge success.  She has been asking to go to school for over a year and yesterday was her big day.


Paige woke up excited and ready to go.  She quickly got dressed, put on her backpack and then refused to pose for any pictures (she is claiming she is "camera shy" but I just call it attitude).  Here is my best shot at the house:


So I loaded up the car with the kids and headed to daycare.  I took a few hours off of work so I could walk her to the bus stop and see her off.  Here are a few pictures...
Ian with his daycare "girlfriends" ready for their ride to the bus
Another attempt at getting a good picture of Paige
The sneak attack photo is the best one I got of  her at the bus stop
While the kids wait for the bus, Mrs. Glenda (daycare provider) brought out a jump rope and they all took turns.  When the bus came around the corner everyone yelled, "BUS!"  The next think I knew Paige was putting on her backpack, standing in line and then getting on the bus.  There was no hug, no kiss, nothing.  She held hands with Anna, a girl from daycare, and off she went.  I called out to her and she briefly looked over her shoulder and said, "Bye Mom," with a slight wave over her shoulder.  I was shocked and SO PROUD.  My little girl was off to Kindergarten like a big girl.
Paige putting on her backpack - all Kindergartner's have a yellow bus tag
A quick look over her shoulder and she was off
There she goes - my BIG girl
I went off to work (after a quick stop at Safeway to get water for the pending hurricane but more on that later) so excited for her.  I tried to image what she was doing and how she felt.  Once I got to work a few people told me I should leave a bit early and surprise her at the bus when she got off.  I couldn't resist so I jumped in my car at the end of the day and raced to the bus stop.  Here is what I saw...
Paige coming off the bus
Her surprised look when she saw me
Paige was so happy to see me, but when I asked her about her day she didn't want to tell me.  She said she couldn't remember.  Then she strutted off down the road with the other school kids.  You could see a new confidence in her walk!  After a snack with all of her daycare friends we headed home.  She still didn't want to tell me about her day until right before dinner and here is what I was able to get out of her:
  • She got to sit in her assigned seat
  • They did math with blocks and links that they made into necklaces
  • There as a story time with two stories
  • She colored a picture of a Mom
  • Her class went to the gym and the teacher called her, "a nice young lady" which Paige responded, "My name is Paige."
  • She ate all of her lunch and her snack
  • She had computer work with a boy name William who apparently is "really good" on the computer
  • She raised her hand to ask questions, but couldn't remember what she asked
  • When asked what was her favorite part of the day was when I put her to bed she screamed with joy, "EVERYTHING"
I cannot wait to hear about her second day on Tuesday.  I'm so very proud of her.

So now a quick note on Hurricane Irene.  As of right now she should be arriving East of Ocean City, MD tomorrow afternoon.  In our area we should have tropical storm strength winds, lots of rain and flooding.  We have gotten all the supplies we need to ride out the storm and be fine for several days if we get flooded in.  The most nerve racking part is what will happen after...will be have power (most likely not), will the yard flood (most likely yes), will the house flood (we really don't think it is possible), will we ever get out of Shady Side (most likely in a few days).  James and I have decided to make any final decisions tomorrow morning after my 12 mile run and the weather people can give us a more definite answer on what is going to happen.  I will do my best to keep everyone posted on my blog as long as we have power, but you can also find me on Facebook (Amanda Rosinack Benson) where I will be able to post from my phone.  Wish us luck!

Lastly, to end on a high note, I have reached the fundraising goal of $1,500.00 set by Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure.  I'm cannot thank everyone enough for their support and donations.  Because I have reached the goal and the race is still 65 days away I have reset my goal to $2,000.00.  This will beat the amount I raised last year!  If you would like to make a donation click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.

Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don & Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family
The Dunham Family
The Harris Family


No comments:

Post a Comment