Sunday, August 14, 2011

Vacation - Day 1

Today was the official first day of our vacation in California.  We arrived Saturday afternoon after a great flight with the kids.  They were so wonderful, I just hope the flight home goes as well.


I started day 1 of vacation with a 18.2 mile run.  I got up at 5AM (that's right no sleeping in today) and headed out before the sun was up.  My parent's live a little over a mile from the beach so I headed West.  I ran along the neighborhoods closest to the water behind the Coastal Highway (a bit safer with less cars).  I took several pictures along the way so you all could enjoy my run with me.
Boat Houses (literally) on 3rd street - mile 3
I made a stop at Moonlight Beach and met a wonderful couple who broke up the run a bit.  They were very impressed I was up and running on vacation, especially the length of run I had planned.

Stretch of Coastal Highway
I spent part of my run going along the Coastal Highway and the beach.  It was wonderful - the smell of the ocean, a nice breeze and scenery I have been thinking of for months.
The Cardiff Kook
I arrived in Cardiff to find the above display.  The Cardiff Kook is a statue of a surfer that over the years has been 'decorated' as a bride, Oprah, Osama, being swallowed by a shark, and so much more.  As I ran by there was nobody there, but on the way back there was a crowd of 15 people taking pictures and more were walking across the street.

I arrived in Encinitas and ran right by the beach I grew up going to.  It brought back lots of memories that kept me going until I turned around in Leucadia (miles 9.1).  I made a quick stop at a Mobile station to grab a Gatorade and stretch a bit.  I quickly texted James to let him know I had made it half way and headed back towards Del Mar.
The little specs are surfers
At mile 14 I was back in Cardiff and saw at least 50 surfers hanging out waiting for a wave to catch.  It was a beautiful scene.  I made it back to my starting point in 3 hours 20 minutes and 53 seconds.  I was so thrilled with my time and energy at the end of my run. Every has falling into place - and the cool temps and lower humidity probably helped a bit. As I headed up the hill to my parents I saw my Mom and Paige coming towards me.  Paige started running calling my name which brought a huge smile to my face.  What a GREAT way to end my run.  
Arriving back at my parents!
The rest of the day was a whirlwind - we went to a local Farmers Market, had lunch, and went to the beach. By the time we got home I was wiped and needed a nap.  

The week is going to be jam packed with lots of fun and sun (if the fog burns off each day). I plan on getting in a 4 mile run each day, hopefully with James, before all the fun begins.  I hope to blog most each day on vacation so be sure to check back.


Fundraising Update - Thank you to everyone who has donated to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure.  I’ve raised $1,225.00 of my $1,500.00 goal which I’m hoping to reach by September 15th.  If you would like to make a donation click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don & Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family



No comments:

Post a Comment