Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm slow and proud

Saturday was my longest training run to date, actually make that my longest run EVER!  16.3 miles!!  It wasn't easy and it took a long time: 3 hours 2 mins and 22 secs.  The weather wasn't too bad mostly because I think I'm getting used to the heat and humidity at this point.  I was soaking wet when I finished and my shoes are still wet today.  Most of my runs average around a 11 min/mile which for some may be slow and for others may seem fast.  My body seems to feel it is just right so I'm happy with my pace.  My goal is not to finish the marathon fast, just to finish.  Yes I would be thrilled to cross the finish line in under 5 hours but right now I'm just looking forward to crossing on my own two legs (and not on four wheels). 


I've figured out the fluids and have started taking salt tablets which has diminished the leg cramps.  I'm still trying to figure out the nutrition.  I'm not hungry at any point in the run, I just run low on energy around mile 12.  Trial and error until I get it right.  I'm going to start a food/run journal to help track what is working and what isn't.


Today, I completed at 4.5 mile recovery run in 50 minutes (again slow and steady) which brought my week total to 40.25 miles.  As I type that mileage I'm blown away at how much I can accomplish in one week.  That mileage does not include the mile swim on Monday, strength training on Tuesday and all other day to day stuff (work, cleaning, groceries, laundry, a baby shower, oh and entertaining two energetic kids).  I will admit any time I can nap (Sat or Sun) I will.  It helps recharge me and I have convinced myself, and James, that it is part of my recovery.


In July I ran 150.94 miles and to date have raised $1,075.00.  The marathon is in 91 days and with your help I will reach my fundraising goal of $1,500.00.  If you would like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure, please click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don and Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family

No comments:

Post a Comment