Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What a day....

I don't think more could have happened today!  There was already a lot planned but then there was a ground shaking surprise...


I started my day with a 6 mile run just after 5:30AM.  It was still dark out when I started so I enjoyed the sun rise as well and the peace and quite.  I have come to enjoy running without my iPod so I can clear my head and listen to nature.


Mile 3 of my run this morning
Next I got the kids up (they got to sleep in this morning) and after I dropped Ian off at daycare Paige and I went to meet her Kindergarten teacher.  It was a 20 minute meeting which consisted of me learning her bus number, finding out I have more paperwork to fill out by Thursday her first day of school, answer a bunch of questions I feel I already answered when I registered her and received Paige's first homework assignment...all the while Paige played in the room.  I'm excited to help Paige with her homework as she has a blank square of paper that she will fill with pictures and words that describe her so her classmates can learn more about her.  (Since it is 8PM and we just finished dinner we will do the homework tomorrow night.)


After the meeting Paige and I came home to spend some special time together.  We played baseball in the front yard, have nachos for lunch (Paige's choice) and then headed to the park.  Paige swang for a bit then we headed down to the water so she could play in the sand.  As I read I began to feel the bench shake and realizing that a big truck had not just passed the park I know right away what was happending...EARTHQUAKE.  As a few other thoughts went through my head, the quake entensified and the ground really started to roll and shake. Now, I have been in several earthquake before having grown up in California, but not expecting one in Maryland and being outside, which I have never expereienced before, I got very scared.  I quickly jumped up, was knocked right back down onto the bench, and called Paige to come over to me away from the water as I saw terror cross her face.  She had a little trouble getting to me, stumbling a bit due to the shaking but was making more progress than I did being lower to the ground.  Once it stopped I calmed her down, took a few deep breaths and noticed the neighbors starting to come out of their houses.  Some asked me if I knew what happened and when I told them it was an earthquake they were shocked.  We headed home to see if there was any damage to the house.  Only a few items fell of shelves and a few picture frames fell over, but everything else was fine.


Because the day still wasn't over I quickly rinsed the sand off of Paige and dashed off to her 5 year well visit.  I'm proud to say Paige is 43 inches and 43 pounds falling between the 70-75 percentile for her age.  She received a finger prick to do some blood work (normal stuff) and then got two shots...which required me holding her from behind with her arms in a bear hug and my legs wrapped around hers.


The appointment took 1 1/2 hours as the doctor was running late so we rushed to the gas station...never fails when you are running late the gas light comes one.  I asked James to get Ian since we were not running behind for...you guessed it we still had one more thing to do today...Paige's first soccer practice.   I got Paige home, changed her into her soccer gear, James came home with Ian and we turned around heading back out.  Luckily a few other familes were a few minutes late like us.  Once we pointed out Paige's coach to her and told her it was okay to go she was off and running.  We watched her run, dribble, shoot and play some great skill games.  Paige's team name is the - Rockets!  James also ran in to a faternity brother from Towson who had just moved to the area about a year ago.
Our little soccer player 
On the field
After practice we came home, had dinner and now I need to get the kids to bed.  What a day! I cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings.



Fundraising Update - Thank you to everyone who has donated to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure.  I’ve raised $1,425.00 of my $1,500.00 goal!!  If you would like to make a donation click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.

Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don & Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family
The Dunham Family
The Harris Family



1 comment:

  1. Hi Amamda! I have enjoyed reading all about your vacation and other updates :) thanks for keeping us up to date. You've been on my mind lately. I'm glad to hear all is well after the earthquake. Congrats on your fundraising progress, too!!

    ReplyDelete