Thursday, July 7, 2011

Heat + Humidity + Speed Work = BLAH

Thursday's are my speed work days.  For non-runners that is when I go over to the local track and run really fast once around it (.25 miles also known as a 400), pause for 30-45 seconds and repeat over and over again.


Today I headed out of the office at 10:30 thinking I was going to beat some of the heat.  Boy was I wrong! As I arrived at the Annapolis High School track, a little over a mile from my office, the heat and humidity really hit me.  The black track was emitting its own crazy heat and the light breeze was hot.  I was aiming to complete 7 x 400 but soon realized that wasn't going to happen.  Not only was I tired from the 15+ miles I had already completed since Monday but it just was unbearably hot.  Now some will say working out in the heat this time of year will only make me stronger and faster for a marathon in October - I say it just isn't worth it, especially this early in my training.


So I completed 4 x 400 with the following times:
1:44
1:46
1:56
1:58
Now these are GREAT times putting me under an 8 minute mile, however the thought of going another three more time just wasn't in me.  I know, three more times doesn't sound like a lot and I probably could have done it, I just wasn't in the mood for dehydration or heat exhaustion - plus I would have been worthless the rest of the day at work and I don't think the people I work with would have appreciated it.


I slowly chugged my way back the mile to the office feeling BLAH and defeated.  I don't like when I'm unable to complete my training activity.  I know I can do it and I need to push myself.  I also need to learn to be a morning person so I can get up at 5AM to beat the heat.


Tomorrow is my REST day - my favorite day of the week!!



Thank you to everyone who is supporting me through my journey.  Your words of encouragement and donations mean the world to me.  

If you would like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure, please click here and visit my fundraising page.  So far I have raised $645.00 towards my $1,500.00.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B. (a.k.a. MeeMaw)
George S.
Don and Candace W.
The Wooley Family
Jo Ann P.

No comments:

Post a Comment