Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July Weekend

Happy 4th of July everyone!  I hope everyone had a fun weekend.  This weekend was the finish to my first official week of training.  I ran 28.24 miles which included hills and speed work, biked 15.2 miles, and swam just over 1/2 mile.  I'm feeling good, just a few achy muscles each night that are ready to go after a good night sleep...and Aleve!

Our weekend was very busy so I thought I would do a recap of the last few days.

Saturday
Belly Boy Ian at the Nats game
 - I started my day with a 10 mile run at 7AM with the Annapolis Striders.  Thank you to Megan who I ran with.  We had a great conversation getting to know each other and did a great job keeping an even pace at 10 min/mile.
 - Then it was off to get groceries - I was super happy I didn't run into any one I knew because I looked rough (and smelled a bit) after my run. :)
 - I was able to get a 1 hour power nap before we headed out to the Washington Nationals baseball game.  The kids ended up on the big screen twice - the first time Ian didn't have his shirt one which is probably what got them noticed.
 - On the way home we stopped for ice cream and went to bed early!

Sunday
 - 4 miles today in 35:28 - my fastest yet!
 - In the afternoon I went to a memorial service for a college friends Mom.  Sue-Jean Suettinger passed away Wednesday after a courageous battle with leukemia.  Sue-Jean was a wonderful wife, mother, and grandma who could light up a room with her smile.  My heart goes out to her family and all who knew Sue-Jean, she was a truly amazing women.
 - The evening was spent playing with the kids and putting off fireworks before a major thunderstorm came through the area.  Please enjoy this video of the kids and our front yard fireworks:




Monday
James & the kids in the parade
 - Every July 4th our town, Shady Side, puts on a 'hometown' parade for all to enjoy.  The kids decorate their bikes, there are ATVs, motorcycles, Corvetts, tractors, floats made by the local churches and of course old cars and fire trucks.  This year was the second year the kids were in the parade.  It can be a bit overwhelming for them, but they still enjoy every minute.
 - The afternoon was spent relaxing and catching up on reading.  We also started watching the Tour de France, which is a summer tradition.  I decided to take an extra rest day this week after a long week of training.


So as the long weekend comes to an end I'm happy to see that we are finding a balance between my training and family time.  As I head into my second week of training I'm planning my schedule of when I will run, clean the house, do laundry, make doctors appointments, etc.  It takes a lot of planning, but it can be  done.

Thank you to everyone who is supporting me through my journey.  Your words of encouragement, assisting in training and donations all mean the world to me.  If you would like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure, please click here and visit my fundraising page.  So far I have raised $500.00 towards my $1,500.00.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B. (a.k.a. MeeMaw)
George S.
Don and Candace W.
The Wooley Family

No comments:

Post a Comment