Saturday, July 23, 2011

16 miles turns to 11

I'm sure everyone has heard about the intense heat across the country.  It has made training runs a little more interesting to schedule.  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week I was up by 5:15AM to get ready and out the door to get my miles in.  Only on Wednesday did I complete a second 4 mile run in the evening.  Even my neighbor yelled out to me I was crazy as I started the run - the heat index was still in the mid 90s.

Today was no different.  As you know on Saturdays I run with the Annapolis Striders in Annapolis for my long runs.  Due to the heat the coaches decided that attempting 16 miles was not a good idea - it was going to feel like 94 at 8AM, which would only be 1 1/2 hours into the run.  They decided a 6AM start was best  instead of 6:30AM and were limiting us to 10 miles or 2 hours, which ever came first.

The earlier start required me to get up at 4:40AM (I only get up this early when we are taking the 8AM flight to Cali).  I surprisingly jumped right out of bed and got ready.  As I headed out I ran into a little problem - BGE had Shady Side Road blocked to fix a power issue.  With Shady Side Road being one way in and one way out, I wasn't going anywhere.  It was clear I was not going to make it to Annapolis and the 10 miles would have to be done alone.  I turned around and began planning my route.

I was out the door at 5:45AM so the sun was not up yet.  I worked my way around the neighborhood and down Shady Side Road to the end, the opposite direction of BGE.  I then ran to the Captain Salem Avery Museum (which we still have not visited in the 4 years we have lived here).  From there I headed down Idlewilde Rd. where I stopped to take a photo.  From there I looped by the kids daycare in Snug Harbor.  Then, the last 2 miles home.  Click here to see a map of  the area.

View from mile 7

In the end I ran 11 miles in 2 hours 2 minutes and 34 seconds giving me an average pace of 11:03.  This is the pace I'm comfortable going the distance and could have lasted a few more miles today...even with the heat.

Because I'm a numbers person I am going crazy having not completed the 16 miles my training plan called for.  The total mileage for the weekend is supposed to be 20 miles - so to make sure I meet that distance I will be getting up early again tomorrow to beat the heat and run 9 miles.

I'm now 99 days away from the Marine Corps Marathon!!  I'm more motivated than every to stay on track with my training and continue to raise as much money as I can for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.  To date I have raised $975.00 of my $1500.00 goal and I cannot thank everyone enough for their donations and support.


If you would like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure, please click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don and Candace W.
The Wooley Family
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family

No comments:

Post a Comment