Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reflecting while running

Today was another early morning out to beat the heat.  I decided to push myself a bit and make up the 5 miles I didn't do yesterday and instead of the scheduled 4, I did 9.32 miles. This brought my total for the weekend to 20.35 miles.  I spent the run reflecting how far I have come in 4 short weeks and the reason why I took on this challenge.  


What I have accomplished so far:
  • $1,000 raised!
  • 128.47 miles run.
  • Started running with a group - Annapolis Striders.
  • Have come to appreciate all the other Mom's who get up super early to get their workouts in.
  • Spent more time with James and kids even though my schedule is tighter with training.
  • Come to realize I am a strong woman with a lot of drive - not just a wife, Mom and employee.
Why I've taken on this challenge:
  • To honor my amazing Mom and the other survivors I know.
  • In 2011 there will be approximately 300,000 new cases of breast cancer in the United States.
  • There will be approximately 39,520 breast cancer deaths.
  • About 1 in 8 women in the United States (12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of our lifetime.  When I take a moment to think of all the women I know and apply this statistic it becomes more real and frightening.
  • For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
  • Besides skin cancer (please stay out of tanning beds and wear your sunscreen), breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among U.S. women. More than 1 in 4 cancers in women (about 28%) are breast cancer.
  • A woman’s risk of breast cancer approximately doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. About 20-30% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have a family history of breast cancer.
  • About 70-80% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer. These occur due to genetic abnormalities that happen as a result of the aging process and life in general, rather than inherited mutations.
  • The treatments for breast cancer has seen great improvements in increasing survival rates, but there still is not cure.

I will continue year after year participating in some fundraising event for breast cancer until their is a cure.  I will walk, bike, cut off my hair and even run another marathon.  To help find a cure I need your support through a donation.  If you would like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure, please click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
George S.
Don and Candace W.
The Wooley Family
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family

No comments:

Post a Comment