Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Mom's Story

Each person who has had breast cancer has their own, unique story to tell.  I am no different.  My mother survived breast cancer twice before passing away from lung cancer, so I was always very diligent with exams and checkups.  In 1989, after numerous biopsies, pre-cancerous cells were found and I opted for a double mastectomy.  Biopsies revealed no actual cancer and my risk of later developing breast cancer had dropped to less than 5%. Great news! But still cautious, I continued with all my exams and annual checkups for the next 18 years.

In 2007 I discovered a new lump.  But my obgyn as well as a well-respected surgeon both determined that it was nothing to be concerned about.  I was surprised that, with my history, neither felt concerned. But I trusted their opinions and continued to see the surgeon every 3 months until December when I insisted on a biopsy.  It was performed in January and the results showed cancer cells.   The surgeon opted for outpatient surgery, but it took 3 outpatient surgeries (over 3 weeks) to finally get a “clean edge” biopsy.  The diagnosis was Stage 4 cancer and chemo and radiation were recommended. 

Good fortune helped us find a wonderful oncologist, Dr. John Link at Breastlink in Orange County, and for the next 6 months we traveled back and forth for my chemo treatments.  That was followed by radiation with another great doctor, Dr. Mundt at UCSD Moore’s Cancer Center here in San Diego. Once that was completed I opted for a full hysterectomy to avoid the possibility of later ovarian cancer.  And two weeks later our entire family arrived for a joyful Christmas celebration!  It had been almost exactly a year since I’d asked for the biopsy and it had led to a life altering year for us.  Paul had been amazing…my rock, my support and my biggest cheerleader, our family and friends had been lovely and absolutely indispensible, and my daily walking throughout the entire year had been so helpful in keeping my mind clear and my body as healthy as it could be.  

I’m now 3 years out from diagnosis and still with my same wonderful oncologist.  He continues to keep a close watch on me with regular checkups, blood tests and scans and so far the news has been good.  I’m still walking regularly, attempting yoga (with varying degrees of success!), working part time, volunteering with Meals on Wheels, enjoying our family and friends who have been such an incredible joy and support to us, and making the most of each and every day.  

Paul and I are in awe of Amanda and the commitment she has made.  I hope that in our daughter’s lifetime breast cancer will become a curable disease and in our granddaughter’s lifetime it will be ancient history.  Cheers and good luck to each and every person who participates in this very worthwhile endeavor!



If you would like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Marathon for the Cure, please click here and visit my fundraising page.  So far I have raised $450.00 towards my $1,500.00. 

No comments:

Post a Comment