Saturday, June 25, 2011

First Run w/ Annapolis Striders

Last week I joined the Annapolis Striders to be a part of the "Moore's Marines" Marathon Training in preparation for the Marine Corps Marathon in October.  We meet each Saturday morning at Jonas Green Park just over the Naval Academy Bridge and head out for the long run of the week starting at 7AM (6:30AM when it gets super hot).  Today's run was for first time marathoners only. This took a lot of anxiety out of going since we were running 10 miles.

The alarm went off at 5:10, which is an hour before I get out of bed on a work day.  I had my pre-run meal (2 eggs scrambled, a piece of toast w/ peanut butter and a small glass of orange juice), then got ready and headed out the door at 6AM.  My drive is a little over 30 minutes so when I arrived I had time to stretch and meet a few people.

Once everyone arrived, Susan and Bob explained the course for the day and where there would be water and Gatorade along the course (click here for a map of the run).  We all headed out together right at 7AM and within the first mile everyone found their comfortable pace.   I ended up running the first half by myself which was kind of nice because I was working on my breathing (belly breathing) to help me run longer with less effort.  Chatting while focusing and running at the same time would not have worked, but I think I have it down now.  By the way the belling breathing totally works.  (click here for an article on belly breathing).  About a mile after the turn back I was joined by a woman from Bowie (I apologize I did not get your name if you're reading this) and we had a very nice conversation on the way back.  Her pace was a bit quicker than mine but it helped push me all the way to the end.

There was a nice surprise when we got back to Jonas Green Park: there was more water, Gatorade, animal crackers (my favorite), pretzels and everyone was stretching and chatting about how they did.  It really was an amazing morning and I cannot wait until next week when the group will be bigger.

The total milage ended up being 10.27 and I finished in 1 hr 43 min 58 sec, which gives me a pace of 10 min/mile.  Just where I want to be right now.

Kids having lunch during play date (from back: My son Ian (2),
my daughter Paige (4 until July 17th), Cooper and Jane.
After my run I jumped in the car (covering my seat with a towel because I was drenched in sweat) and met James at Annapolis Town Center to grab the kids to head back home for a play date with the Dove Family while he played basketball.  I got home in time to clean up and start packing lunch before they arrived.  We then headed to the park to play, have lunch, enjoy little fun in the water and catch up.  Three hours later we were back home with tired kids having had a great time.

Tonight we are going to stay home and have a backyard fire to have smores!  Good thing I burned a lot of calories today.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. What a great start! Glad you are joining us this summer and I cannot wait to read about how the summer unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan. I'm already looking forward to Saturdays run and meeting more people!

    ReplyDelete