Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Holly's Hills

Today I completed what I'm considering my first official training run for the Marine Corps Marathon as part of the Susan G Komen Marathon for the Cure. Going forward, this run will be referred to as "Holly's Hills". The run is 4.06 miles of rolling hills and is now apart of my training program every Tuesday. After running my first Half Marathon on June 5th I learned that training hills is very important (and your calves will be much happier with you).

I have given this run the name Holly's Hills for two reasons:

Reason 1: I was shown this run by Holly Buckner, a colleague and good friend. She has very graciously offered to assist me with my training for the Marine Corps Marathon by running hills with me each and every Tuesday. She is a long time runner and has been very helpful in setting my training program and assisting with nutrition.

Reason 2: For those of you that live in the Annapolis area you will be familiar with the road we run - Harry S Truman Parkway. Yes, that is the street off of Riva Rd. with the MVA. For those of you not from this area take a look at the map that includes the elevations. MAP (I may take my flip camera with me in the coming weeks for a video so you all can get the true feel of this run.) There are a LOT of hills - actually you either run up or down the entire 4.06 miles.

When we first did this run, last week, I made it without stopping. Something about today being the first day of summer, with temps in the upper 80s, and humidity above 60% the run was a bit tougher. Plus, it didn't help that I hadn't eaten correctly today due to some meetings at work, so I ran out of steam on the run back.

We made the first 2.03 miles in 18:40 (9:20 min/miles which is fast for me). Unfortunately the second to last hill knocked me down to a walk just feet from the top. I need to come up with a name for this hill as it starts off gentle and then gets steep to finish. If anyone has a suggestion, please comment below.

So with Holly's Hills today I have officially started my training and for the next 19 weeks I will give it my all.

A big thank you those of you have already donated. I have raised $400.00 towards my $1,500.00. If you would like to donate please click here. Every dollar makes a difference in the fight against breast cancer.

Be sure to stop back every few days for updates...including my Mom's story


Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B. (a.k.a. MeeMaw)
George S.



1 comment:

  1. That's OK about the hill - just keep on keepin' on!!!! You're doing great and you look great, too!

    ReplyDelete