Sunday, June 19, 2011

My New Challenge

Just a few weeks back I was trying to figure out how I wanted to raise money for the fight against breast cancer. After two fun summers of riding my bike and raising over $2,500.00 I was thinking I wanted a new challenge.

I was starting to get frustrated because I couldn't find anything that incorporated my new love of running...that is until Monday morning last week. I received an email from Active.com listing all the races in Baltimore this season and down at the very very bottom was an ad (for a lack of a better word) for the Susan G Komen Marathon for the Cure. I clicked on the link and instantly I got very excited. I knew this was just what I was looking for. I took some time (24 hours) to think it over and then registered to raise $1,500.00 to participate in the Marine Corps Marathon.

Now, some of you are going to think I'm crazy. I mean I've only completed one Half Marathon (with another planned in September) but it isn't about the run, it is about raising money to help support finding a cure for breast cancer. My goal for the marathon is to cross the finish line...no time goal!

Tuesday evening I Skyped with my parents to tell them my plan and inform my Mom that I would be running in her honor. Her strength during her battle with breast cancer is what truly drives me with each fundraiser I do. She has agreed to share her story in one of my upcoming blogs, so stay tuned!

Over the next 4 1/2 months I will be training and raising money. I will post on my blog ever few days to keep everyone posting on my fundraising and how I'm balancing training with being a wife, Mom of two amazing kids and working full time.

If you would like to donate today please go to my fundraising page (http://www.info-komen.org/goto/amandarunning) and click donate. Every dollar counts, but for everyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write their name on my race day shirt!

Thank you for your support!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda!! I did not know you had a blog - so COOL!!! I will definitely be following your progress and I really admire what you are doing. Having lost my mom to breast cancer, this issue is very near and dear to my heart and is one of my main motivators to stay fit and healthy myself. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Andrea. The blog is something I started two summers ago and is a great way to keep everyone up to date with the fundraising and training.

    When I do my fundraising event for breast cancer I have so many in my heart including your Mom.

    ReplyDelete