Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Good vs. Evil - The Mental Battle

I've been in a mental battle over the past two weeks that has made motivation and energy extremely low.  On my last few runs it has been Good vs. Evil comments in my head.  Evil usually appears around mile 5 and has worn down Good by mile 8.  When there are still 10 more miles to go it becomes and exhausting battle in my head.  Here are some of the punches each side has taken:


Evil:  I'm tired
Good: Shhhhhh...


Evil: Your legs feel like lead
Good: I'm light as a feather


Evil: Did you feel that in your knee?  You really should stop because you don't want to injure yourself.
Good: It was only a second and it isn't continuing.  Shut UP!


Evil: Why am I doing this? Really running 2 1/2 - 4 hours on a Saturday is not my idea of fun any more.  You have already completed 17 miles this week, do you really need to do 16 to 18? REALY, what is this 20 mile thing?
Good: SHUT UP!  I run to bring awareness to those I talk to about the importance of the fight against Breast Cancer.  I run to become stronger, healthier and keep my weight under control...and it is working.  So SHUT UP!


Evil:  I've had enough. Stop, stop, just STOP!
Good: I hear you, I really do.  Time for some words of encouragement/chanting/mantra: Stronger, power, courage, strength.  STRONGER, POWER, COURAGE, STRENGTH! STRONGER, POWER, COURAGE, STRENGTH!!


Evil: Done, Done, DONE. I've had enough!!!
Good:  Oh, I give up.  Just walk a bit.  I'm exhausted physically and mentally.


That is right Evil has been winning.  Right now the score is Evil- 6, Good - 3.  It isn't looking very good for me.  Good is still putting up a fight because as I write this I'm telling myself it is a phase.  The past two weeks and next three weeks are my toughest of my training - including 3 - 20 miles runs.  I will success and defeat Evil!


One thing that does motivate me are your donation!  I have raised $1,765.00 of my new $2,000.00 goal.  If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.

Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
Matt, Cheryl & Yuengling 
Jenn & Randy Smith
George S.
Don & Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family
The Dunham Family
The Leslie Family
The Harris Family
The Hannon Family

No comments:

Post a Comment