Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Article in The Washington Post

I want to share an article that was in the Style section of The Washington Post today.  The article was about Geralyn Lucas the author of "Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy" and how Gen-X and younger cancer survivors are changing the attitude about cancer.  Here are a few points I took away from the article: or
  • About 513,000 cancer survivors are ages 20 to 39, according to data from the American Cancer Society
  • TV and movies are focusing on young cancer survivor stories
  • It's time to start focusing on a future where cancers will be prevented and treated as chronic diseases instead of talking about finding a cure
  • Cancer survivors need more support both medically and psychologically - for example what happens after you survive — employment discrimination, fertility, dating
  • We all need to talk openly about cancer with our family and friends 
  • Humor is not a bad thing when talking about cancer
You can click here to read the full article as I am not doing it justice with my bullet points.



The fight against Breast Cancer is a very personal cause to me.  As you know my Mom is a stage 4 survivor and I also know several strong women who have survived.  I will continue raise money each year until the follow statistics are no longer: (statics sited are from BreastCancer.org)
  • Breast Cancer will affect nearly 300,000 women and 2,100 men this year. 
  • Approximately 40,000 women and 450 men will lose their battle with Breast Cancer
  • 1 in 8 women in the United States (12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
  • More than 1 in 4 cancers in women (about 28%) are breast cancer.
  • A woman’s risk of breast cancer approximately doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. 
  • About 70-80% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer. 
This year I'm raising money for The Susan G. Komen Foundation who works to save lives, empower those living and survived Breast Cancer, ensure quality care for all and provides funding to science to find the cures. If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation click here and visit my fundraising page.  For anyone who donates $50.00 or more I will write your name on my marathon day shirt.

Marathon Shirt Names:
Mom & Dad
Linda B.
Jenn & Randy Smith
George S.
Don & Candace W.
Jo Ann P.
Todd N.
Shannon & Stan K.
Ada M.
The Buckner Family
The Wooley Family
The Wolff Family
The Lemke Family
The Perret Family
The Pollitz Family
The Dunham Family
The Harris Family

No comments:

Post a Comment