Sunday, September 6, 2009

The reason I ride pushes me onward

Today was another early morning, starting around 8:30AM. I started out on 468 making a quick loop into a neighborhood. Normally I would cut back across 468 and go down Sudley, so that is what I did, until about a mile down the road I realized I wanted to go to Galesville. So I turned around and headed back to 468 to Galesville. I took a quick break by the water (see photo) at about 10 miles. It was so beautiful!

I then headed down Owensville Rd to Nutwell Sudley - this is where the bigger hills started and I could feel my ride from yesterday. I took Nutwell Sudley all the way to 258 to get to Rt 2. I then went all the way down Rt 2 (about 20 miles) to South River Clubhouse.

At 30 miles I took a quick stretch break and was starting to debate calling James to come and get me. I was tired and feeling every hill in my legs. But then I remembered why I was doing the Hershey's Tour de Pink virtual ride. I told myself those who are battling Breast Cancer do not have the option or luxury of saying they are tired and don't want to keep going. They fight every moment of every day with each treatment and surgery. So I got back on my bike and kept going.

I picked up speed on 468 as I headed home. I took Swamp Circle (barn picture from earlier blog) and took 256 to Shady Side Rd. The last 4 miles were killer but I finished my 45.21 miles in 2 hours and 57 minutes. My average speed was 15.1 miles (3.52 min mile) and I hit a top speed of 29.1 mph - it was going down hill, but it was FUN!

So far I have gone 121.58 miles of the 220 miles I pledged. I hope as you check in on my blog you take a moment to think about what you can do to bring awareness to Breast Cancer. You can do anything from sharing my story, to getting a mammogram and telling your friends, or finding a local event to take part in. Everyone can make a difference and save boobies!

9/2/09 - 41.52
9/5/09 - 34.85
9/6/09 - 45.21
Total - 121.58

No comments:

Post a Comment