Wednesday, November 2, 2011

FINISHER

Finisher is defined as - to arrive at or attain the end of.  That seems like such a simple definition for such a great accomplishment of completing a marathon.  Each person who crossed the finish line Sunday at the Marine Corps Marathon will always be known as a 'Finisher'...its even on the medal.  The pride we each feel cannot be described in words, tears, or screams of excitement.  

I'm going to warn you now - this is going to be a long post to recap the race...

I reached the start line and a calm came over me. I knew that I would finish.  The route starts by winding us through the rolling hills of Rosslyn and dropped us on the George Washington Parkway.

We crossed the Key Bridge into Georgetown and turn down Canal Road circling the Georgetown Reservoir.  There were not many people along this part of the course because there was no place for them along the side of the roads. 

At a sharp turn just before mile 7 there I went up a steep climb to head back towards downtown Georgetown.  Soon after this I made a restroom stop that took a little over 10 minutes.  I then understood why so many people (women included) were ditching off the course into the woods. Once in heart Georgetown the crowds increased and the excitement grew.  

Around mile 10 I passed the Kennedy Center and then turned towards the Lincoln Memorial.  This is around the time I remembered I had my phone to take pictures, but still didn't stop - the mind and body were telling me to keep going.  

When I reached the half way point I was relieved, however I started to have some stomach issues.  I felt a bit sick and knew that I needed to listen to my body and I slowed down.   I told myself the goal was to finish and it didn't matter how long it took.   I then spent the next few miles jogging and walking trying to figure out what I needed to do to feel better.
I made it to James, the kids and Linda, between miles 17 and 18.  I asked James to grab a pretzel at a stand and meet me on the other side, just a mile run for me.
As I passed by the Capital I saw Kathy and her daughter cheering me on.  It was so great to see them!!  A real spirit lifter that energized me to run down to James.  I grabbed a part of the pretzel, took a bit and spit it out.  I couldn't chew so I ate the salt. Yes, I really did look this exhausted when I got to James but I still had a smile on my face:
I took off again past the Smithsonian Castle.  I had to 'Beat the Bridge'!  So what do I mean by 'Beat the Bridge'?  Well at mile 20 I crossed over the 14th Street bridge that take us back into VA...however because the bridge has to open back up if a runner does not reach the bridge by the cut off they are picked up and driven over instead of being able to run.
As I approach the bridge the crowds grew, there were guys filling signs that said "Beat the Bridge" and there was an amazing drum troop.  Once on the bridge everything got really quite.  There were only runners and the bridge went on forever - about 2 miles.  I was starting to feel better, the salt was really helping, so I jogged more than walked with a group of men that had "Team Griff" on their shirts.  When they said run, I ran, when they said walk, I walked until my momentum kept me going. If it weren't for them it would have taken me forever to get across that bridge.


Crystal City and mile 22 was on the other side.  Around the bend and there was the Annapolis Striders coaches and cheering group!  I was so happy to see them!!!!
I gave high fives, grabbed some gummie bears and pretzels and was off running.  Just another mile and half up the road was James and the crew again!  I realized how it important it is to have people along the course cheering me on - it gave me something to focus on.


With just three miles left I needed to keep chugging along.  The last two miles took me around the Pentagon where there are no crowds.  The last mile went on forever passing me by where I had dropped my bag in the morning, ran along the area were we stood for the opening ceremonies and...oh my goodness, there was James and the crew again.  I couldn't believe it, just a half mile from the finish line, they were along the road cheering me on!  Seeing them pushed me to get running again.


I made a sharp left with just .2 to go and went straight up hill to the finish and the Iwo Jima Memorial.  That is right!  The end of the race is up hill and around a bend.  When I say up hill, I mean up a steep hill.


As I crossed the line I began to cry.  I couldn't believe I had made it.  Having not felt well for over half the race and taking 5 hours 37 minutes and 42 seconds to reach the finish line I was overcome with so many emotions.  I had trained 18 weeks, run over 577 miles and accomplished such an amazing goal.  I was officially a FINISHER!


As I walked forward, Marines were shaking my hand congratulating me, patting my back and asking me if I was okay.  I got into a line and was greeted by a very happy Marine who gave me my medal.



From there I got a finishers photo in front of the Iwo Jima Memorial and started to make my way to my bag where I met up with James, the kids and Linda.
Such an amazing day!


Thank you to everyone who followed me on Facebook Sunday.  I LOVED going back through the posted times and reading everyones encouragements and cheers.  It brought tears to my eyes that each of you was watching Facebook for over 5 hours waiting for me to finish.  


A special thank you to James, Linda the kids and Kathy for coming down to DC and following me along the course.  Had you not been there I'm not sure I could have finished in the time that I did.  James your dedication and support these last four months has been amazing!


To everyone who donated to the Susan G Komen Marathon for the Cure - you are all amazing!  You helped me raise $3,125.00 to fight breast cancer and no words could ever express how much I appreciate your generosity.  


I'm going to continue my blog instead of stopping until I begin fundraising next year.  I'm going to blog about my continued dedication to my health, fitness, my family and hopefully breakthroughs in the fight again breast cancer.   My goal for 2012 is to inspire others and I hope I can inspire you!  So be sure to stop back every so often...like in the next few days - I'm going to post some fun facts about my training and the race!


Thank you again!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, you have no idea how proud your entire Maryland family (not to mention the California, Illinois, and other states) are of your dedication and effort. You done good, woman!! You done butt-kicking good! Thanks for being you!
    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! What a story. I was crying along with you as I read your re-cap. I am so proud of you and have thoroughly enjoyed following along and being a part of this journey! Mine is coming up in 17 days - aaack! You're experience has been an inspiration to all and I can't wait to follow along in the coming days, weeks, months :)

    ReplyDelete